Saturday, May 28, 2011

June Challenge

I've joined Stephanie's June Challenge. The goal is to sew four summer dresses during the month of June. Being in the Southern Hemisphere, where we are well on our way to colder weather, I've changed it slightly to sewing four winter dresses. I'm hoping that having a deadline will be the kick up the backside I need to actually use the patterns I've bought and some of the fabric from my ever growing stash. I am usually good with deadlines (by this I mean I leave everything until the last second and then scramble to finish it on time, but I always manange to finish). I have a fair idea of what I want to make but will probably change my mind halfway through.

Advance 8270


I've had this pattern and two different fabrics to use for ages but I haven't worked up the courage to try it yet. The first fabric is a heavy cotton knit with one way stretch. I haven't really sewn any knits before so I'm approaching this with a feeling of trepidation.



The blue is a merino wool knit that is really stretchy, which could be a problem.




I would love to sew Butterick 8459 (on the right) in a bright red. With some of the main fabric stores in the city having been destroyed/damaged by the earthquake my fabric choices might be pretty limited, so I may not be able to find the fabric I want. I've made the full skirted version of Butterick 8459 twice before so this time I want to make the slim skirt and use some thicker wintery fabric.

I bought the pattern on the left recently because I am obsessed with peplums (if you click to make it bigger you can see the peplum more clearly). I would quite like to make it in a solid colour, maybe a navy blue or grey.

10 comments:

  1. ooohhhh! That advance pattern is fabulous! I can't wait to see what you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see how you get on! I'm not a big fan of stretch,myself! I usually cheat with my overlocker...naughty!
    I loathed peplums for many years-so over done in the 80's-but find myself liking them again.I think you'll look lovely in one,as you are so petite!
    Gorgeous choice of patterns all up!!
    Spotlight i open again,not that they have much quality fabric usually.Fab Vis in Papanui is open,and I have no idea if there is anything else! I keep telling myself to get into my stash,but there's so much I want to make,I can't decide and then I do nothing but whinge!Pah!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I know you are making the dresses, which are all gorgeous, but that cape is adorable too!

    Luckily I have so much in my stash that I would not need to go to a fabric store for another 10 years. But I also find some fab treasures in op shops; Cats Unloved is just around the corner from me and has often got some good lengths of wools and such forth.

    I also avoid sewing with knits, whilst I find them infinitely more forgiving in shaping, I just don't enjoy sewing with them as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi- Thanks. It's one of my favourite patterns I've ever bought.

    Helga!- I will probably cheat with my overlocker too- my sewing machine hates stretch.
    80s peplums are pretty awful but I'm hoping I can avoid that look with the right fabric.
    I might have to go to Spotlight even though I hate buying there.
    I know the feeling. My stash is huge but it never seems to have quite the right fabric for what I want.

    Brumby- I love the cape too and will definitely make it at some point.
    I have a huge stash but, since I am a print fiend, I have almost no solid colours. I try and buy op shopped fabric where I can but it's so hard to get exactly what you want if you have something specific in mind.
    My machine pretty much hates knits so I have tried to avoid them as well but since I got an overlocker I figured they might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool challenge! I might have to join up too. I might sew some summer dresses so when the weather does warm up I will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful choices, can't wait to see you sewing them up and wearing them! My experience with knits is mixed. Heavy double knit was a dream to work with but the more thin jersey knit a nightmare. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look lovely. I am determined to have a cape this year :D x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your vintage patterns! I'm really scared of stretch farbics as well. I don't think I'll have the guts to dive into stretch fabrics during the June Challenge, but we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see you make the peplum-dress. I have a thing for floral-fabrics (especially light blue flowers on white background) at the moment so that might have drawn my eye to that design =D

    ReplyDelete