I'm using McCall's 8813 for the jacket. I bought the pattern without the envelope, so the only picture is the black and white one on the instruction sheet. I can't find any info about when the pattern dates from, but the next pattern number up (McCall's 8814) is from 1952, so it's probably from around then.
I don't love the straight skirt in the McCall's pattern. It seems like an unflattering shape and length, and I don't like the seam down the front. I'm thinking of using a pencil skirt pattern like the one above that I recently op shopped.
|The white thread is just basting holding the buttonholes closed
This is the jacket so far. I'm using a dark green wool that I got from trademe. Because good wool fabric is almost impossible to buy here (in a country where there are more sheep than people), I ended up buying a secondhand roll that had 16 metres on it. This was way cheaper than buying one of the nasty wool blend (20% wool, 80% polyester, 100% likely to start pilling if you so much as look at it) fabrics that you can get new.
I couldn't find any in my huge stash that went with the wool, so I made some covered buttons using this old kit that I op shopped. They required lots of bashing with the hammer because the fabric is so thick. I have to say, bashing things with a hammer is quite therapeutic.
The colour came out funny, but they are the same green as the jacket.
This is the inside. The front and hip pieces are interfaced with hair canvas. Hair canvas feels gross, but it's traditional in tailoring, and the pattern says to use it. It helps things hold their shape. Cotton tape is used along the armholes and the front seams and bias tape along the waistline to strengthen them.
I still have quite a bit to go on the jacket before I start on the skirt. It's a lot of work, but I'm actually enjoying all the handsewing.