Friday, March 2, 2012

Captain Underpants

I haven't posted about my quest to make my own underwear for a while but I have actually been making (and wearing) some.

Leopard underpants


When I saw Zoe's leopard print knickers that she made I instantly wanted a pair.
I found some cheap stretchy mesh leopard print fabric at Kutwell. It's the kind of thing I'd usually avoid like the plague because I'm not generally a fan of wearing synthetics but I planned to line it so it didn't really matter. I used some thin black cotton lycra for lining and fold over elastic (the best elastic ever) to finish the edges. I used the same high waisted 80s pattern I used last time. I gotta say, I think they are pretty awesome but then again I love anything leopard print. They fit similarly to these in terms of high waisted-ness.

Floral underpants


For some reason I've had real trouble finding stretch cottons with cute prints here. All I can find is solid colour t-shirting fabric. Maybe I'm the only person around here weird enough to make her own underwear. This may actually be the case. When I told the woman at the fabric store that I was using the fabric I was buying to make knickers she laughed nervously and looked at me like I was crazy.
I bought this flower and bird print off Etsy. It's a cotton interlock type knit which isn't as good as cotton/spandex for making knickers but I loved the print.

Neon underpants


These are a completely different style to the other ones I've made. I love the look of American Apparel's unisex brief but I would never buy from them for a variety of reasons including their super creepy CEO, gross company policies and this. I used a pattern meant for a 12 year old boy and some neon cotton/spandex. They fit well and are really comfortable.
Making knickers is strangely addictive. Once you get the hang of it they come together quickly and you can make multiple pairs at a time.

24 comments:

  1. You've done a great job - the animal print ones are my fav. I have another friend that makes her own knickers so you are not alone. It's something I'd like to try myself eventually - but I need to keep working at some basic skills first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They're my favourite ones too. They are actually way easier than you'd think. You could totally make them with just basic skills.

      Delete
  2. Love your knickers. They look really comfy too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pants are amazingly good! I've often thought of making my own from old tee shirts as I hate having to spend money on something noone really sees. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've seen a tutorial somewhere online about how to make them from old t shirts. It looked relatively easy.

      Delete
  4. Yikes, knew their business practices were corrupt but did not know CEO was such a freak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweets,these are amazing and sooooo cute!
    I really ought to take heed;I desperately need some new knickers.....I am inspired....but you should see the pile of sewing on my desk.........bleurgh!
    I'm going to the Shabby Chic market tomorrow with Vanessa! (assuming it doesn't get rained out!)Might we see you there?
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You should make some. I probably wont go cos I'll just want to spend money that I don't have but I hope you and Vanessa have a great time. I'll cross my fingers it doesn't rain for you.

      Delete
  6. Just love these! The higher waisted the better! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - I especially love the leopard ones! I'm hoping to start making some underwear now that I have a zig-zag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are my favourite. Can't wait to see you make some because I'm sure, like everything else you make, it will be amazing.

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about American Apparel advertising campaigns-they're hideously misogynistic and thats not even the imaging.. The undies I love....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are a disgusting company but I do love that they have unisex undies.

      Delete
  9. Without trying to sound like a total el'creepo creepinson... I love your knickers. That floral pair are the shiznit and you're totally inspiring.

    And jezebel, absolutely my go to for everything. Ever. Including dirt-bag status on super el'creepo creepinsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not creepy at all. I'm the one who posted pictures of my knickers on the internet for all the world to see in the first place.
      Me too. Jezebel keeps me informed of all sorts of creepy goings on.

      Delete
  10. They're all so cute! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all totally amazing!!!! You are currently making me feel like coming out of pant-making retirement! Love the Y-front version, really clever idea. I find it really interesting learning with type of knit/stretch fabric work best for different projects, pants included. Sadly my leopard pants didn't have enough stretch in the mesh fabric so I can't wear them I WILL have leopard pants before long though. Thanks for reigniting my passion!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete