Friday, March 30, 2012

OWOP Day Six: It's a mad world

I feel like I should preface this by saying that I don’t actually watch Mad Men anymore. Honestly, all the misogyny and all the Don Draper just got really annoying. I hate Don Draper. There, I said it. He cheats on his wife all the time, stole another man’s identity, was horrible to his brother who then committed suicide and is generally not a good person. I guess the glamorisation of characters like Don Draper and Roger Sterling who are sexist, racist and homophobic doesn’t much appeal to me. The misogyny I could handle if the female characters were well written but I just don’t think they are. When watching, I constantly ask myself, “Why am I meant to care about these people again?”. The clothes and the set of Mad Men are gorgeous but I find myself bored and not invested in the characters at all. Obviously, this isn’t meant as a criticism of anyone who loves Mad Men. It’s just not to my personal taste.

That said, when I saw Julia Bobbin’s Mad Men challenge I wanted to take part because there was a dress Peggy wore in one of the early seasons that I’ve wanted to make for ages. I do love the clothes in Mad Men, if not the actual show. I think Peggy wears this dress to a party sometime in season two, but I’m not sure.



I loved the shape, the collar and the bow. I did manage to find a pretty similar print to Peggy’s dress but it was $24 a metre and I didn’t really love the print to begin with. I found a red and white floral print on trademe that was way cheaper and I liked more.

OWOP Day Six and Mad Men Challenge Dress


What does this have to do with OWOP? Well, I used my OWOP blouse pattern for the bodice, adding a pleated skirt to turn it into a dress. The fabric is quite thin so I underlined it in white cotton. I made the collar slightly bigger and added a side zip.

Mad Men Challenge Dress and OWOP Day Six


The bow is just attached with a safety pin. I’m not sure I’m sold on the bow which is weird because I usually put bows on everything. I think it’s the colour. The black contrasts a bit too much with the rest of the dress.

Close-up of Mad Men Dress

26 comments:

  1. That dress is so cool. I like the black bow with it, as it ties in with the black belt & shoes. Love the collar & the shape. I still watch Mad Men. I agree about Don Draper...he really isn't very likeable. I was glad to see Betty finally leave him. I still watch it for the pure beauty of the styling, although it's loosing it's appeal now the styles are changing through the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was slightly afraid that everyone would be a Don Draper lover and lampoon me for hating him so it's nice to know other people don't like him either. The styling of Mad Men is amazing.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree about Mad Men. I enjoy watching it for the clothing and styling and furniture and aesthetics in general, but it's the kind of thing I'll watch while also browsing blogs on my laptop at the same time, or while talking to my brother on the phone about how shit Mad Men is. I find it so boring. The storylines don't do it for me, Don is a total dickhead, and actually most of the characters suck. Joan is really mean too. I buy the DVDs though when I'm in Vietnam because they're $1.50 a season, haha. Our flat has nearly finished Game of Thrones and someone suggested Mad Men for our next TV show of choice... noo.

    Anyway, I love your dress. I also love how often you've been updating, and all your amazing handmade stuff makes me want to do some sewing of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I watched the first couple of seasons for the aesthetics but then I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I'm still pissed off that they got rid of Sal because I thought he was the most interesting character. The others all come across as really annoying.
      Thanks. Updating every day this week has been hard because I'm lazy and hate taking photos.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for shirt waist dresses!!!! They are my favourite styles and yours is just so cute. I love it. The collar and bow make such a nice detail. Peggy would be thrilled to have one, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shirtwaists too but I don't own enough. I'll have to make some more. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. The dress is rockin and well I've already mentioned/moaned about how Don Draper is such an areshole..I mean really, he cheats - he lies and then he beds the next damsel..yawn. He's just not that likeable and would I want a man like that, doubt it and would I like my daughter or anyone female with someone like that- hell no. I agree about the female characters...they are so friggin one dimensional...but then, the clothes ahh the clothing...gets us every time...makes you turn down the volume and just watch for the clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, I find the fact that people see him as some sort of role model really weird. The clothes are fabulous but I think it's at the expense of the storyline. Like, they spend all this time making sure the styling and the set are perfect and the characters are an afterthought.

      Delete
  5. What a clever twist on OWOP, and that dress is so perfectly Peggy! I actually like the black bow because of all the other black you have in your belt, shoes, etc. But the safety pin is a great idea to give yourself more options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did try and match the accessories to the bow so it wouldn't look to out of place.

      Delete
  6. Maximum challenge awesomeness! This dress is totally fab and I think you'll get so much wear out of it! I agree that the bow could be a bit too contrasty.... A burgundy, perhaps? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, that's a good idea. I was thinking a red bow of some sort might look better.

      Delete
  7. You continue to blow me away with your sewing awesome-ness!! I love this frock, I want to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the frock,and I love the black bow with it!
    Yes,indeed,G and I lost interest in Mad Men because the characters just weren't making us want to watch it.Visually,it's fab,but that's about it!
    XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, there's only so many pretty costumes and dull storylines you can take before you lose interest.

      Delete
  9. That's a great copy! I too think the bow is too dark. I agree with your sentiments about Mad Men and I'm glad you were brave enough to say it. I have only watched moments and that guy is a jerk... I do love the clothes but not enough to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I might try a plain red bow and see how that works. I'm glad that other people agree, I was a bit hesitant about posting it because everyone seems to love Mad Men to a fanatical degree.

      Delete
  10. i love it - you really could start making dresses for other people. I'd buy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I may have to if I can't get a job once I finish uni ;)

      Delete
  11. I love it! It's so Peggy! Very nicely done. This dress challenge has been such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes it has been fun, I loved seeing everyone's Mad Men dresses.

      Delete
  12. I love your Mad men dress! I'm with you on the whole Don Draper thing, I don't get the fascination with that guy either. I also really like your choice of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad everyone isn't on the Don Draper bandwagon. Thanks, they are my favourite shoes. I wear them way too often.

      Delete