Sunday, August 28, 2011

Follow the yellow brick road



I was going to try and finish my dress yesterday but then the weather turned out glorious. I didn't much feel like sewing a wool dress while the sun was shining so, instead, I did something that had been on my to do list for a while. Glittery shoes! I have wanted to try covering a pair of shoes in glitter ever since I saw the tutorial on Rhia' s blog, Evil Dressmaker. I sat on the deck in the sun (gotta get that vitamin D) with some paint, glitter and glue. It was like being back at primary school. Playing with glitter was just as fun as I remember.





I was going to give these brogues to the op shop because I don't really wear brown shoes but I thought they would be perfect for covering with glitter. I had to paint them red first so the brown didn't show through.




I did four layers of the glue and glitter letting each layer dry before doing the next. They dried really quickly because it was so sunny.





I added some ribbon as laces.




The picture below is closer to the true colour. I love the way they turned out. I want a pair in every colour.





14 comments:

  1. Ah I've been wanting to make some shoes from that tutorial for ages, but I don't have any shoes to glitter-ify. My friend has glitter Litas and I want to make some flat oxford-y shoes in similar multicoloured sparkles, and yours turned out so well I need to look out in opshops now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so cool! I have been wanting to do these for so long. I was going to make some glitter flats to wear at the reception when my heels start to hurt. I am on the lookout for a cheap pair of flats to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They turned out really cute. And thanks for linking :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done an incredible transformation, they look fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun treatment for some old unwanted shoes! Did you seal the glitter with anything to keep it from flaking off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love 'em!!! Toe tappingly fabulous!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Georgia Rose- I love the glitter Litas. Multi colour sparkles would look amazing. Good luck with your search.

    Kat- Thanks. That's such a good idea. A pair of glittery flats would look great to wear at your reception.

    Rhia- Thanks and thanks for inspiring me to do them.

    Vix- Thanks. I am pretty pleased with the way they turned out.

    Stacy- The glitter is mixed with the glue before you apply it, so in theory it shouldn't come off because it sort of gets sealed as you go. You could probably put an extra layer of glue on top to be sure but I didn't because I ran out of glue.

    Helga- Thanks. They make me feel like I should break into a tap dancing routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're totally Dorothy! Or the wicked witch... Either way, fab shoes. Love them x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reana Louise- I am definitely more wicked witch than Dorothy. Thanks.

    PJ- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow they look so good! I have got so many shoes, I must have a pair I hardly wear and find the time to give this a go. I NEED a pair of red sparkly Dorothy shoes! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! But do you leave a trail of red glitter behind you everywhere you go??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lady Cherry- Thanks. Everyone should have a pair of sparkly Dorothy shoes.

    Lily- Thanks. Nope, I think you would if you put the glue on and then put the glitter on top but since I mixed the glitter and the glue together and then painted it on it's like the glitter is embedded in the glue and it stays put.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing idea!! Ha ha how funny that we were both going to buy the same dress! It really is very cute.

    ReplyDelete