Friday, September 30, 2011

Garage Sale

Last week, I went to a garage sale at Brumby's place. She had an assortment of fabric and vintage clothes (my version of catnip). I came away with two bags of stuff including a gorgeous 50s bag and two pairs of vintage shoes. Since I have trouble finding new shoes in size 5, I always snap up any vintage ones I find in my size. A salesperson at the shoe store once told me that if by some miracle they actually make a particular style of shoe in size 5 the store only ever buys one pair. Weirdly enough, I quite often find vintage shoes in size 5 or smaller. They seemed relatively common in the 50s/60s. I find this fascinating. Did people just have smaller feet then than they do now?



I also got some fabric. See the two different red vinyls? Perfect for making some more bow belts. The mint green gauze-y fabric is so pretty and there's enough to make a dress.


I got a dress and a wicker basket too but forgot to get a picture of them.

8 comments:

  1. Yup I recon feet were defo smaller! I always find shoes in my size (6) but my friends always bemoan the fact that there are no old shoes in their size in the oppies... Strange, but true!

    Great scores!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squee! I had no idea that Brumby chickie was local!! Those shoes are so scrummy,and I think peeps were generally smaller back then...in more ways than one! Nice scores,lovey,the fabrics are heavenly!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Op Shop Mama- Lucky for us then having small feet! I did read somewhere that people these days are quite a bit taller so I guess it makes sense that their feet are also bigger.

    Helga- Yes, you, Brumby, Georgia Rose (who I met the other week) and I should go op shopping some time. The fabrics are great- even more to add to my huge stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I do like that big spot fabric... great scores! Nice shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What incredible finds, especially those great shoes! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, people's feet were smaller, and they were smaller in general. That's why I'm not likely to find 30's or 40's (which I would love) vintage shoes in my size any time soon...
    Gorgeous finds you did. That mint green fabric is dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your finds, so great to know that Two Squirrels is up and running! Found you via The Velvettes and now following your thrifty adventures! Much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often see vintage shoes I love, but they are too small for me - I agree with the other comments, I think people were different shape in body, and in feet. I love your fabric finds - and the bow belt in your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete