Monday, December 23, 2013

Recent Finds

I haven't been op shopping much lately but I managed to get in a quick fix one lunchtime a couple of weeks ago.


I found this old necklace with glass chillies on it.. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to eating chilli so maybe it's false advertising to wear them around my neck, but I don't care because I really like it.


I also picked up a few patterns. I will probably never make the pattern on the right, but I couldn't not buy it.  


I didn't op shop this one, but it's too awesome not to share. I bought this 1940's jacket on Trademe for $5.50. It was described as a linen/cotton blend but it's wool (I'm not sure how you get those two confused). It had a few of what looked like rust stains when I got it and was pretty scungy. I washed it three times. The water turned brown and then dark purple, but it came out clean in the end. The stains are gone and it looks way better. Of course, I won't be able to wear it for ages because it's too hot but, in the meantime, I'll just stare lovingly at it and hope for cold weather.  

10 comments:

  1. My goodness, that 1940s jacket was an incredible find! It probably hadn't been washed for over 50 years, hence the colour of the water... I love the necklace, and I am delighted to learn that the chillies are made of glass, I assumed they were plastic but glass ones are even better! And of course you should make the nightie pattern, go for the baby doll with bloomers!
    Have a happy Christmas, Brodie. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous finds, love the jacket!! And I look forward to what you make with the patterns as well :)) Love the necklace, I don't think I could eat them either, not a big fan of dry heat kind of things. I hope you have a wonderful week doll!! Happy Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! I love finding vintage patterns at thrift stores too. The middle pattern looks particularly wonderful. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those chilli necklaces are worth a fortune, I know a lady with one and she's been offered silly money when she wears it to fairs. What a find! the jacket is gorgeous and all three patterns are stunning, especially the bloomers!
    Have a good Xmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your necklace, I sure wouldn't have been able to walk past that one.
    And every time someone blogs about some gorgeous garment they've bought on Trade Me, it reawakens my TM addiction!
    I'm sure I had jamies just like your pattern on the right when I was little in the 60s. So cool in a hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the chilli necklace too. I also find the jacket beautiful - lucky score. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome jacket but the chili necklace is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O, the chillies necklace is too splendid!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable finds ... the chillies necklace is to die for! wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Lovely blog! That's why I put you up for the Liebster award!

    Read all about it in my most recent post for instuctions! www.shermette.com

    ReplyDelete