Friday, February 4, 2011

Simplicity 1411 take two

It's been hot here..like 32 degress celcius hot. I realise that for some of you that may seem quite mild but for where I live it is hot. I don't like hot. It makes me slow and unmotivated. Last week my heat-addled brain decided the only sensible course of action would be to make a wool jacket. Madness I know, but I'm kind of hoping that it will magically bring on the cooler weather so I can wear it.

Simplicity 1411


I have actually made this pattern before but this time I changed the sleeves. Instead of the kimono that came with the pattern , I drafted an armscye and added three quarter length set-in sleeves. I did this by tracing the armscye and sleeve from another pattern. It's not the most precise way of doing things but it seems to work.

Jacket 2


This was originally meant to be my muslin to test the sleeve. I was only going to cut out the bodice and the sleeve and not bother making the peplum but I had enough fabric left over from some wool trousers I made so I thought I may as well use it.
And then when I'd finished the outer shell I realised that I liked it so I thought I may as well finish it properly.

Jacket front


I used some navy blue buttons I got for 70 cents at the op-shop.

Lining


And the fabric I used to line it I got on sale for $1.20/metre.

Jacket


So, including the wool fabric, which I had left over, this jacket cost me around $10 to make (the wool was $5/metre and I got 2.5 metres which I managed to get a pair of trousers and this jacket out of. It was realllly wide).

Jacket back


I love the peplum and the three quarter length sleeves. The sleeves are the perfect length to show off gloves (which is lucky since I have 20+ pairs).

Now, I just need some cold weather so I can actually wear it somewhere.

13 comments:

  1. It is fantastic - I love the peplum.

    It has been very hot here (38-40 degrees celcius) in Melbourne, and I have bought wool to make a winter coat - wishing the cooler weather along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel.

    32 degrees seems trifling compared to 40. At least I'm not the only one who thinks about making wool coats at the height of summer. I will hope for cooler weather for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The jacket is fantastic and I love the lining as well! Hope you get some cooler weather soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this jacket! The lining is great, AND it looks perfect with the red skirt/glove combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic!
    I have only recently started to experiment with more playful linings myself as I am one of those annoyingly pedantic matchy matchy obsessed kind of people. But alway love seeing it on other peoples work and wish I could be less OCD about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debi- Thanks. The lining is one of my favourite parts of the jacket.

    Trisha- Thanks. I think red/navy is the best colour combo in the world.

    Brumby- Thanks. This is pretty much the first time that I've done a lining that wasn't a similar colour. It's not a lining fabric really just a thin satin-y polyester but it was way cheaper than actual lining fabric and I love the way it looks. I'm the opposite, I'm the least matchy matchy person ever but I love it when others take the time to find things that match perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love the peplum, what a great basic jacket -- goes with everything but still super stylish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your jacket is fabulous, the navy wool and bright lining make it look expensive, as if it were a couturier garment! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!Love the crazy lining,unexpected and fabulous!Yep,odd tyo be making a wool coat in this heat,but what the hell!You can't fight the urge!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. O,and I LOVE that cape pattern from your last post!! Would love to take a copy of it sometime!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! That's adorable! I just love jackets with surprise linings.

    Garnet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely understand the logic of hot weather driving you to make a wool jacket. Especially such a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So GREAT babes! I too adore the peplum! Would love to make one similar!

    ReplyDelete