Saturday, April 17, 2010

Simplicity 1192

Simplicity 1192


When I first contemplated sewing Simplicity 1192 I thought it looked fairly straightforward and fun...how wrong I was. The bodice went together perfectly until it came time to attach the ties for the bows. When I tried it on the bateau neckline was so high up my neck it looked like a skivvy* gone wrong. Since I (mostly) followed the instructions I'm going to tell myself that women in the 1950s had ridiculously swan-like necks and that is why the neckline came up to my chin. After a few small tantrums and a lot of unpicking I decided to remove the ties. I was determined to still use them somehow because they were bias cut and it had used up about a metre of fabric making them. I tried various methods of attaching them at the shoulder seams and sewing them to the facings but none looked quite right.

Simplicity 1192


I finished the rest of the dress, including my first lapped zipper (which was easy compared to fixing the neckline). I decided that it would be easier if the ties were removable so I could wear a cardigan over the dress. In the photo above I've just tied them around the shoulder seams and then into bows. They look really uneven but that's mostly because I was in a hurry and couldn't be bothered playing with them until they were the same. Sorry about the wonky photo, that's what happens when you try and take a self-timer photo using a sloping bookcase as a makeshift tripod.

*Turtleneck if you're not a New Zealander

9 comments:

  1. Sweetie,it is divine,and I love the fabric!Odd about the exceedingly high neckline?Ladies surely couldn't have all had swan like necks back then??!!You did a great save,though.Great idea having the bows detachable,as yes,you can wear a cardi when it is cooler,and have bows when it is warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the fabric was a Spotlight special for $4 a metre. I'm sure they didn't all have swan-like necks (although looking at the pattern envelopes you'd think they did) I just tell myself that because the alternative is that my bad sewing skills are to blame for the weird neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress turned out beautifully, I love the lowered waistline and the well-made, regularly gathered full skirt. I agree with Helga for the bows, it's a smart solution :) And don't worry about the neckline, it's looking perfectly fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really lovely! Fabric's very nice and the bows too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric does not look very typical 'Spotlight' so well done on the great find. I generally refuse to shop there because of their terrible service but did get a gift voucher for my birthday so went in to buy zips and thread and so forth. Turns out they had an end of season clearance and so I managed to get a whole bunch of fabric (some of it not bad quality such as cotton velvets) for just $2.00 a metre. Needless to say no zips were purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spotlight does have shocking service, some of the people that work there are so rude. I try not to go there too much but since there are pretty limited options for fabric shopping in ChCh, sometimes it's unavoidable. Great buy getting a whole bunch of fabric for $2 a metre, they do tend to have quite good sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the print. Spotlight does have shit service but I am in the same boat as you. Unless I drive an hour to Brisbane there isn't many choices on the Gold Coast. When we went to Melbourne I was so jealous of all their fabric shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I get jealous of places with good fabric shops too, especially places like New York that have a garment district filled with fabric shops.

    ReplyDelete