Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Swimwear as Outerwear

Ages ago I said that I wanted to make a playsuit/romper/jumpsuit/whatever you want to call them (personally, I'm not a fan of any of those names).


I had this vintage seersucker from the Two Squirrels shop that was begging to be made into some sort of one piece suit type thing.  



I used vintage McCalls 5829, a bathing suit pattern. It was pretty straightforward to sew. Initially, I made it a bit tight. I guess, because it's a bathing suit pattern, there isn't  much ease in it. You wouldn't want much if you were going to wear it in the water, of course, because it would go all saggy. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased about the invention of lycra because I can't imagine it being very comfortable to swim in something made of heavy cotton. Since I wasn't going to be doing any swimming in it, I let the seams out a bit so I could actually breathe while wearing it.



I didn't have enough fabric to match the print but I'm not too worried since you rarely find RTW clothes with the print matched these days.

Grumpy is my default face

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago when it was far warmer. I'm back to wearing cardigans and thick tights now. I don't mind though, Autumn is my favourite season. 

Scarf: Op shopped
Sunglasses: Vintage shop
Belt: Op shopped
Tights: Farmers
Shoes: Golden Ponies

25 comments:

  1. That is one cute suit! What a great fabric score. You have really great style/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love the fabric xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely fabulous, Brodie, I LOVE it! Gorgeous fabric, beautiful pattern, and you have styled it magnificently with the fishnets, scarf and sunglasses, very sexy pin-up!
    Grumpy is my default expression too - I call it my Fuck-Off Face, I can't help it. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, I'm going to steal that. I blame my Fuck-Off Face on years of taking the bus and trying to dissuade people from sitting next to me by glaring at them.

      Delete
  4. I love it and would wear it in a heart beat! Modelled to perfection despite the grumpy face. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. If I get sick of it, I'll know where to send it.

      Delete
  5. That looks great! Love the fabric print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg that is super cute! I have a vintage swimsuit I just wear as a romper. I would to make myself one. I think I need to hunt out a pattern now. Etsy here I come...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's a good idea, you probably wouldn't want to actually wear it as a swimsuit.

      Delete
  7. Schwing a ding sing!
    You can totally get away with this, with that adorable little figure of yours! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so precious, I love it!! The pattern is sweet without being too child like, You look radiant. I agree with you, I usually only wear vintage shapewear too, it fits better for me, but I thought to try it out and it wasn't so bad. I wouldn't go and buy loads to replace my vintage pieces, but it was worth trying :) Hope you having a great week so far doll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a bit worried about looking child-like, that's why I wore the fishnets. Oh, that's good. Some modern shapewear is quite nice.

      Delete
  9. Oh oh I remember that lovely fabric!!!!! It came from Invercargill and I was always going to make it into something......never did, because it so wanted to be made into a very cute playsuit by you!!!!!!
    My goodness you are just the most amazing dressmaker.
    I just love it and look so very sweet and adorable.
    love V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool. I love knowing that it came all the way from Invercargill. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. How fabulous, ahhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's brilliant, perfectly true the pattern, fits you beautifully and the fabric is just gorgeous! I love playsuits, shame you can't wear them for swimming really, not practical but they look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it is a shame. I suppose the most you could do is lounge around by the pool or at the beach in a playsuit.

      Delete
  12. Super cute....I love the fabric & the style is gorgeous on you. I've seen a few original cotton swimsuits that have zips. I really do wonder what they would be like to swim in. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear god, how did I miss this post? That romper is AMAZING. The fit is so so so good, and it's far too pretty to be wasted on swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this! It's so cute on you, and I would probably wear it all the time.

    ReplyDelete