Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bomb Girls

Pictures from Reelz

 Bomb Girls is a Canadian tv show set in the 1940s. It follows four women working in a munitions factory building bombs during World War II. It aired in Canada in January this year and, by some minor miracle, they played it in New Zealand recently. Usually it takes ages for new shows to be played here, if they do at all.



The clothes are gorgeous and it was worth watching for that alone, but, surprisingly, I loved the storylines and characters too. I find period dramas a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I love the clothes but hate the characters (e.g. Mad Men), or I love the clothes but just can't summon up the energy to care about the characters and storylines (e.g. the new version of Upstairs Downstairs). I don't dislike them all (I love Downton Abbey), but I would rather watch a show with interesting and likeable characters that doesn't have amazing costumes, than a boring show with pretty clothes.

I love Vera's coral coloured shirt dress
 The first season of Bomb Girls was only six episodes long but they're making another season. The show isn't perfect, but it did make me cry a few times and laugh quite a lot. I genuinely like the characters and I can't wait to see what happens to them next season. I also love that a show is telling the stories of what women did during the war. Women in munitions factories put their lives at risk making bombs and it seems like their actions are rarely remembered.   

I would wear all of these clothes, even Marco's

I read that there was some criticism of Kate's (second from the left) dress for not being historically accurate because it was too short, but I got the impression that was deliberate. I think it was meant to show that she was still wearing the clothes she had as a young teenager, which makes sense if you watch the show. 


Picture from amatteroftiming
 Bonus picture of Betty and Kate dancing because they are adorable and I ship them.

22 comments:

  1. Oh man, this looks amazing. We don't have a TV but we don't even have a satellite dish and the landlord won't install one, so not only am I missing the Olympic gymnastics but this too. I am loving all your 1940s-esque looks lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks. Thanks. I have become a bit obsessed with the 1940s of late.

      Delete
  2. This look pretty good - some great clothes, I'm lusting after the trouser suits a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the clothes are fantastic. 40s trouser suits are pretty awesome.

      Delete
  3. This looks interesting. The outfits do look fabulous. I know what you mean about period dramas being hit and miss. We had a series called 'Land Girls' in the UK with a similar wartime theme. It was awful!! I wonder if this will find its way to the UK xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I watched some of Land Girls but I just couldn't really get into it. I really wanted to like it but I found the characters kind of annoying.

      Delete
  4. This seems like it is such an interesting show. Do you know how I could watch it in the States? Hulu? Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where you could watch it in the US, sorry. I think I read somewhere that it was going to air over there but I'm not sure when.

      Delete
  5. It looks good, the costumes are lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. Will go check that out. Thanks for sharing. BTW have you seen 'The Hour'? It's about the BBC's progression from Govm't mouthpiece to independent journalistic integrity. Very nice. Costumes and characters wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen a couple of the episodes of The Hour. I really liked the ones I did see and I loved Bel's clothes. Hopefully they play it again on tv here so I can watch the rest of the episodes.

      Delete
  7. This looks great. I hope they show it in the UK. I am reading a book at the moment which is about women's lives in the war. It's very good. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they play it over there too. That sounds really interesting. There seems to be so much stuff out there about the war but it rarely looks at the lives of women during that time.

      Delete
  8. Oh now that's one costume department you would what to be in. The green outfit, with the green shoes!!!! Eeeekkkk!!!!!
    Love v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, working in the costume department would be fab. I know! I want those shoes.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a fantastic show, I will look it up!! Love all the clothes too :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, American tv is just not this cool. I'll have to look for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ, tv isn't this cool either. I have a theory that Canadians are superior beings.

      Delete
  11. Well this sounds pretty interesting. I will have to see when it plays near me. I like some of those dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. The dresses are my favourite part.

      Delete