I bought this hat pattern in one of Vogue's online sales. It's a reproduction of a pattern from around 1950. The pattern envelope is styled hideously. I don't know why they do this. It's like there's some sort of conspiracy to make people not want to buy their patterns. I mean, the hats don't even look remotely 50s. They look more 1980s. Anyway, I thought Hat A and B had potential if you looked past the pattern envelope.
The frame is made with bias covered wire and piping cord. This took me quite a while because I couldn't understand the instructions. I just ended up making it up as I went along.
I didn't want to make flowers from ribbon or organza like the pattern instructed so I bought these fake flowers. After pinning them to the frame I decided they were too big.
Because I'm some kind of masochist, I pulled apart the flowers and made new ones out of the petals. This took me many episodes of BSG to complete.
I tried to take photos with my tripod but you couldn't really see the hat so mirror shots it is.
You can wear it either way around. Hat A and B on the pattern envelope are the same foundation but Hat B is worn the other way around and has different flowers. I think I like it the way around it is in the first photo.
Even though it took me ages to do and was kind of frustrating, I really love this hat. I'm proud of all the hand sewing too. It's not that neat but this is probably the most hand sewing I've ever done on a project.
Also, thanks for your comments about my hair in the last post. I've decided I like it now. I think it just takes a while to get used to a haircut.