It's been hot here..like 32 degress celcius hot. I realise that for some of you that may seem quite mild but for where I live it is hot. I don't like hot. It makes me slow and unmotivated. Last week my heat-addled brain decided the only sensible course of action would be to make a wool jacket. Madness I know, but I'm kind of hoping that it will magically bring on the cooler weather so I can wear it.
I have actually made this pattern before but this time I changed the sleeves. Instead of the kimono that came with the pattern , I drafted an armscye and added three quarter length set-in sleeves. I did this by tracing the armscye and sleeve from another pattern. It's not the most precise way of doing things but it seems to work.
This was originally meant to be my muslin to test the sleeve. I was only going to cut out the bodice and the sleeve and not bother making the peplum but I had enough fabric left over from some wool trousers I made so I thought I may as well use it.
And then when I'd finished the outer shell I realised that I liked it so I thought I may as well finish it properly.
I used some navy blue buttons I got for 70 cents at the op-shop.
And the fabric I used to line it I got on sale for $1.20/metre.
So, including the wool fabric, which I had left over, this jacket cost me around $10 to make (the wool was $5/metre and I got 2.5 metres which I managed to get a pair of trousers and this jacket out of. It was realllly wide).
I love the peplum and the three quarter length sleeves. The sleeves are the perfect length to show off gloves (which is lucky since I have 20+ pairs).
Now, I just need some cold weather so I can actually wear it somewhere.