Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bra top circa 1950

Simplicity 3250>

I have always wanted to try my hand at making some vintage style lingerie but patterns are, from my experience, difficult to find and expensive. More common though are 1940s and 50s beachwear patterns that often include bra-like tops. I figured making some of these would be a good way to ease me in to sewing lingerie.
I got the above pattern from old2newmemories on Etsy.


This was my trial run version. I used some left over vintage seersucker I had. The whole time I was sewing it I was sure that it wasn't going to work so I was surprised when it actually turned out alright. Obviously it's not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with it overall. It fits me really well. The only alteration I would make next time would be to take in the centre front a tiny bit as it gapes slightly.

Bra top back

The pleats at the front and the slight gathering at the sides make it really flattering on. I plan on making a black one out of swimsuit material to go with a vintage style high waisted bikini I have. I love the bikini bottoms but the top it came with is a bit too skimpy for me and is uncomfortable to wear.

It was quite hard to photograph and it definitely looks better on but I wasn't brave enough to put photos of me wearing it on the internet.


  1. So cute! I love the detailing on the top! Your idea of making a bikini top is perfect for this pattern!

  2. That is very cute - I love the fabric you have used!

  3. I think I am in love with this top! I adore it! xoxo

  4. Wow, it looks really good great job! I can't believe this one was your trial run. My trial runs never look that good.. haha
    I love the buttons on the back!

  5. It is very cute! Would look great with your sailor pants too.

  6. Nice work. I have always wanted to try that as well! Thanks for the inspiration!