Sunday, July 25, 2010
Port Elizabeth Top
I downloaded the Port Elizabeth top by Goldfinch & Eagle from Burdastyle weeks ago but only printed it out this week because I don't like the cutting out and taping together. Making up for lost time, I ended up sewing three of these in two days. I really love this pattern. It's so simple and stylish. I only made one change- instead of using bias binding on the neckline I drafted facings. This was mostly because I didn't have any bias binding that went with the fabrics and I don't actually know how to make it.
I made the first one using some floral fabric my Mum gave me from her stash.
I made this one in about half an hour before I went to uni on Wednesday morning and then wore it. The fabric was the skirt of an ugly 90's dress I got at the op-shop.
I used an old gingham shirt my Mum was going to throw away for this one. I cut the front of the top from the back of the shirt and the back of the top from the front of the shirt (if that makes sense) so that the buttons were down the back. As you have probably guessed by now I have a slight obsession with things that button down the back. I had to put a snap at the top to keep it closed because I couldn't cut it so there was a button there.
I think I will be making a whole pile of these for Self-Stitched September.