Monday, October 24, 2011

Lilac Wine

Dress from Dashfield Vintage

I bought this early 60s dress from Dashfield Vintage a while ago to make myself feel better about all my tests and essays. I don't own anything lilac because pastel colours don't suit me but I loved the gathered neckline.

Image from Dashfield Vintage

It's a little bit big, but nothing a belt won't fix. The print is of leaves, which is a slight departure from my usual flowers.

One more exam to go and then I'm free, for a little while anyway.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Sewing Lingerie Part 3

Remember, ages ago, when I said I was going to try making my own underwear? I didn't forget, I just got distracted by other things. I bought the book, Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie from Trademe a while ago. Some of the patterns in it are questionable and they are all sewn in some pretty dreadful late 80s/early 90s fabrics but I tried to look past that and found some of the patterns are actually quite good.

I had been thinking about drafting a pattern for a pair of high-waisted knickers (I refuse to use the word panties. It makes me shudder.) because almost everything I wear is high-waisted and modern knickers always sit way too low. All the high-waisted knickers you can buy here are granny type ones that are beige and usually made of something synthetic (double shudder).
This pattern from the Kwik Sew book was pretty much the exact shape I had in mind.

I made them from a stripey stretch cotton from the cheap table at the fabric shop. The edges are bound with fold over elastic which was $8 for a bag with 20 metres in it (bargain!). They were so quick and easy to put together. I used Zoe's tutorial for the construction. I've made three pairs and they have fast become my favourite underwear. They are really comfortable and they look cute on.

I wanted a matching bra so the sew-along at A Few Threads Loose was perfect timing. The pattern is the Pauline Bra from Anna's Etsy shop, Mrs Depew Vintage. It's a pdf copy of a bra pattern from the 1940s. I used the same stripey cotton and some black stretch cotton of a similar weight.

I used the unfolded fold over elastic for the straps because it looks similar to the wide ribbon used on my vintage bras. There's no underwire or anything but, let's face it, I don't actually need it.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. They kind of look like a bikini but a cute one, so I don't mind.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Sort of Spring

Sorry about my lack of posting. Uni is kicking my butt at the moment. I have two tests and an essay due this week. Anyway, it's sort of Spring here now. By 'sort of' I mean we get a couple of sunny days and then back to gloom again. This is typical of Christchurch. I'm not complaining mind you, I like gloomy weather. I quite like Spring too but I don't like what comes after. Summer means hayfever and constant sunscreen application for me.
In honour of the start of Spring I thought I would make a weather appropriate skirt. I actually finished this a couple of weeks ago but was too lazy busy to take pictures of it.

Spring Circle Skirt

It's the same self-drafted circle skirt pattern I've sewn a million times, because you can never have too many circle skirts. The fabric is from my stash. I bought 4 metres of it at Spotlight a few years ago. I was going to make a full skirted 50s dress but then I thought the combination of full skirt, pink, roses and spots (there are little cream spots on the fabric) would be too girly even for me. I am not much of a fan of pink in general so it must have been a moment of temporary insanity when I bought 4 metres. I do like it as a skirt though. With a skirt I can tone down the pink with a black top and docs.

I lined it with some white cotton because it makes the colours stand out a bit more. I also added some petersham ribbon to the waistband because it looks pretty and it probably strengthens it or something. All the seams are french seams. Even though you can't see them because it's lined, I don't care. I just love how neat they look.

If you squint you may be able to make out the spots on the fabric. The camera washes out the colours a bit. They are brighter in person.

I have a ton of Spring sewing projects in my mind and hopefully after this week I'll be able to start working on them.